Data Warehouse Lifecycle: The Kimball Approach
Kimball’s Course Portfolio: Lifecycle – Dimensional Modeling – ETL
(Ralph Kimball may have retired from active duty but his former partner and co-author of his best-selling books, Joy Mundy, keeps the legacy alive. She teaches the full course portfolio, previously taught by Kimball University for one simple reason: the methodology proves its value over and over in practice.)
Building the data warehouse is complex and challenging. This course prepares you to successfully implement your business intelligence program by presenting the essential elements of the popular Kimball Approach as described in the bestselling book, The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit (Second Edition).
This one-day course is packed with techniques, guidance and advice from planning, requirements and design through architecture, ETL and operations. The breadth of content covered in this one-day course necessitates a lecture format.
Important topics include:
- The Kimball Approach to data warehouse project planning and requirements gathering
- A brief introduction to dimensional modeling
- A framework for creating your technical architecture
- Physical system design
- The 35 subsystems of the ETL system
- And much more!
Who should attend
This course is designed for all major roles on a data warehouse project, including project managers, business analysts, data modelers, architects, and ETL or BI application designers and developers. It is valuable both for team members engaged in their first data warehouse / BI project, as well as for those who have several projects under their belts and want to align their experience with the proven, Kimball techniques.
Students should be:
- Able to name and describe in a few words the main operational systems of his or her organization.
- Able to name and describe in a few words the main business concerns of the end users in his or her organization.
- Somewhat familiar with basic data modeling concepts such as referential integrity.
However, the absence of these abilities and familiarity will not keep you from profiting from the course. There is no need for any kind of preparatory DW/BI course prior to this course.
The one-day Data Warehouse Lifecycle: The Kimball Approach course is an ideal introduction to the three-day Dimensional Modeling: The Kimball Approach course that is scheduled immediately subsequently. That course is particularly valuable for students who need to be able to develop a dimensional model, the key to successful data warehouse design
Combine the two courses and you win on all levels:
- A coherent end-to-end education for analysts, modelers, architects and project managers
- An insight in the interaction of project complexity with business requirements, modeling options and how to solve complex requirements or reduce complexity
Joy Mundy has worked with business managers and IT professionals to prioritize, justify and implement large scale business intelligence and data warehousing systems since 1992. She leverages these consulting experiences when teaching DW/BI courses. She co-authored, with Ralph Kimball and other members of Kimball Group, many of the popular “Toolkit” books including The Data Warehouse Lifecycle Toolkit (Second Edition) and The Kimball Group.
Avega Group & KIMBALL UNIVERSITY erbjuder professionella utbildningar inom Business Intelligence & Data Warehouse.
Visa alla event